- River Ganga is about 1557 miles long (2506 km).
- The Ganges basin is about 200 to 400 miles (322 to 644 km) wide.
- The river Ganga originates at Gangotri glacier on the southern slopes of the Himalayas, some 14, 000 feet above sea level.
- River Bhagirathi and Alaknanda join each other at Devprayag to form River Ganga.
- Major pilgrimage places on River Ganga are- Rishikesh, Haridwar, Varanasi and Prayag (Allahabad).
- The mouth of River Ganga forms a vast delta, the Sundarban delta (the largest delta in the world).
- There are two major dams on the Ganga. One at Haridwar and the other dam is a part of the hydroelectric project at Farakka.
Here are some interesting facts on river Ganga, one of the largest and most sacred rivers of India.
Varanasi : River Ganga : Interesting Facts on Ganga